Thursday, August 23, 2012

exercising--sometimes i just don't wanna.

the days are getting shorter with autumn peeking around the corner (although, officially, it's still a month away on saturday, september 22nd) and that's making it even harder to get out of bed in the morning to hit the gym. when the alarm goes off at 5.00a, it's always a battle against myself. a super-sized version of me is pulling me back, deep into the cozy comfort of my fluffy white bed; the remaining pea-sized me is shaking her pom-poms and cheering me on to pull on the restricting attire i ambitiously laid out the night before.

sometimes the cheerleader wins and, less often, i think, the bed wins. i don't always wanna go and it isn't always fun but i'm always glad to check that box for the day.

this week i made it to the gym tuesday night and then thursday morning. morning has become my new preferred time and here are some reasons why:

  1. i get the machine i love. some of the cardio machines are jerky, not as smooth as my favourite, number 25. when i was there tuesday night, number 25 was occupied and i had to suffer through a jolted workout. luckily, the man using 25 exited when i was only 10 minutes into my cardio portion so i was able to hop over and use 25 to finish up.
  2. it's quiet and i have less distractions. only a few people scattered among the equipment, the gym music playing overhead is nearly inaudible, and texts aren't filling up my phone. 
  3. it's over and done with and the rest of the day is mine to do what i please--facetime or skype with family, see jeremy, go to bed early, etc. 
  4. i feel lighter and stronger in the morning since i don't have the extra weight of the day fighting against me. 
  5. i'm more alert throughout the day when my day jumpstarts with a hard morning workout. 
  6. my eating is more manageable. i'm less inclined to snack or nibble on crap and more satisfied with the lunch i brought rather than going out with the team. 

just because i'm blessed with a self-discipline toward exercise doesn't make it easier or more enjoyable. but i'm always glad when i've done it and i always feel better after.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with 3, 4, and 5. I love working out in the mornings. Not being physically able to for a little while has really made me appreciate it. Even 20 minutes helps out the rest of the day so much! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete